Skip to Content
About the Education Department
Serving traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds in the Catholic Franciscan practice of openness, caring, and service, candidates in the
Teacher Preparation Program are prepared to be reflective practitioners through a variety of pre-service growth experiences.
Briar Cliff offers three majors for future teachers:
Students who successfully complete the
Teacher Preparation Program are eligible for an Iowa teaching license. The program is accredited by the Iowa Department of Education.
Elementary education majors at Briar Cliff pursue teaching licensure for grades K-6, with a discipline-specific concentration.
The K-12 Education Major is for Art, Music or Physical Education majors who are also enrolled in the Briar Cliff Teacher Preparation Program.
Secondary education majors at Briar Cliff pursue teaching licensure for grades 7-12, and must also have an academic major.
Courses EDEL 335
- Teaching Elementary Mathematics
- Teaching Elementary Social Studies
- Teaching Elementary Language Arts
- Reading Assessment, Diagnosis and Evaluation
- Elementary Reading and Content Area Instruction
EDUC 03 IS
- Introduction to Education Computer/Media Technology
- Foundations of Catholic Schools in America
- Educational Measurement and Evaluation
- Ministry of Catholic School Teaching
- Student Teaching in the Elementary School
- Student Teaching in the Secondary School
- Independent Educational Study
- Literacy, STEAM, and Turn-Around Schools
- Systems Change in Organizations
- Instructional Design and Assessment
- Dynamics of Adult Learning and Professional Collaboration
- Curriculum Development and Evaluation
- Teaching and Assessing Virtual Classrooms
- Shared Leadership and Supervision
- Issues and Advocacy in Teacher Leadership
Associate Professor of Education; Division Chair of Education; Master of Arts in Education Program Director
Administrative Assistant, Education Department; Talent Search
Printed from: http://briarcliff.edu/academics/departments/education/